Skip to main content

Publishing articles from Your Dissertation



For early-career researchers/faculty, a dissertation is the most promising source to increase the number of publications. But, when it comes to publishing peer-reviewed journal articles, whoever already experienced writing journal articles will definitely agree that publishing articles requires almost the same amount of effort as writing the dissertation. 

Sine 2018, I have worked on publishing articles from my dissertation, and finally, by 2021, I got two papers published...See?! It takes almost four years!

One of the advantages that I got was I already made my dissertation in a two-paper format. There are two types of dissertations..(or possibly several types); one is a traditional five-chapter format (Introduction-Literature Review-Method-Results-Discussion) and the other is a combined journal article format (Introduction-Paper 1-Paper 2-Paper 3...-Conclusion).  

I chose a combined journal article format because my research interests were a general classroom climate which includes students' perceptions and participation and teachers' knowledge and orientations. So it naturally comes with two aspects - students and teachers. That results in me examining a classroom climate through students' perceptions and teachers' epistemic orientations. I will set aside details about each paper for later. Let's continue to talk about how to really make it from the dissertation.

Once you almost drafted your papers, explore or discuss targeted journals. I have used a journal finder provided by each publisher (e.g., Wiley SJF, Elsevier Journal Finders) but it did not work well for me (I guess because my topic is a bit broad - can be learning, education, science education, etc. So I just submitted my manuscript to the top-tiered journal.. then I got rejected..

But still, it is good because I got reviewers' comments!! Having someone in the same field who gives you comment is very important.  I revised my paper based on the comments then submitted it to the next targeting journal. Then I got rejected again..

No worries! I am writing this post because I want you to be discouraged. Rejection and Acceptance are part of life for people in academia. Be comfortable with rejections. 😝😝

I got reviewers' comments again then I revised my manuscript in accordance with their points. I submitted it to the next journal... I got a positive decision finally - "Major Revision" then make it published. 

In sum, what I want to suggest is it is not too late for you to submit your manuscript while working on your dissertation. I know, it is a lot of work, but you know that you need a productive break while writing your dissertation. And do not hesitate to submit your manuscript! Reviewers' comments help you look at your paper from a different perspective and most of the time, it really helps! 


Good luck, all doctoral students!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A generative professional development program for the development of science teacher epistemic orientations and teaching practices

Bae, Yejun., Hand, Brian.M. & Fulmer, Gavin.W. A generative professional development program for the development of science teacher epistemic orientations and teaching practices.  Instr Sci  (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11251-021-09569-y Read the article here =>  https://rdcu.be/cFaG2

[Home-Baking] Whole-Wheat Ricotta Cheese Cobbler

If you want to eat fruit differently, there is a cobbler recipe that you can easily make at home. There are so many different types of cobblers, and there are many different types of cobblers in each household. While it is easy to make, the taste is deep and light (?). This time, I decided to try making it healthier by using especially whole wheat flour. First, lightly wash the blueberries and place them on a sieve. Rub the outside of the apple with baking soda, clean it, and cut it into small pieces. I needed about 3 tablespoons of butter, but I only have 2.5 tablespoons left, so I'll just use it as is. Chop it up into small pieces and place it in a baking glass bowl. Put it in the microwave for 45 seconds and it melts so well. You can use sugar or honey, but I found quince jam left in the refrigerator for a while and decided to use it today. Take a large tablespoon of jam and spread it on top of the melted butter. Sift 1 cup whole wheat flour through a sieve Sprinkle two tablespo

[EE 304] Compliment Party - Classroom Activity

It is important to start the semester well, but it is just as important to finish it well. The meaning of ending well is probably a time to think about a meaningful ending together with the students. Looking back on the learning during the semester and the precious memories with the students I took the class with... So, the last week's activity was a Compliment Party - a discussion activity to express gratitude to the students who took the class. As always, I get a lot of energy from the posts of the students, more than I expected. Suddenly, I thought about the answer to the question of why I like my job and give it a lot of meaning, which is to meet students with various ideas through class activities and develop each other's thoughts under the big topic of 'education'. I thought it might be because watching the movie comes with a big meaning. So, I would like to write down the opinions of the students delivered through the activity. "Everyone in this class has be