Skip to main content

Publishing articles from Your Dissertation



For early-career researchers/faculty, a dissertation is the most promising source to increase the number of publications. But, when it comes to publishing peer-reviewed journal articles, whoever already experienced writing journal articles will definitely agree that publishing articles requires almost the same amount of effort as writing the dissertation. 

Sine 2018, I have worked on publishing articles from my dissertation, and finally, by 2021, I got two papers published...See?! It takes almost four years!

One of the advantages that I got was I already made my dissertation in a two-paper format. There are two types of dissertations..(or possibly several types); one is a traditional five-chapter format (Introduction-Literature Review-Method-Results-Discussion) and the other is a combined journal article format (Introduction-Paper 1-Paper 2-Paper 3...-Conclusion).  

I chose a combined journal article format because my research interests were a general classroom climate which includes students' perceptions and participation and teachers' knowledge and orientations. So it naturally comes with two aspects - students and teachers. That results in me examining a classroom climate through students' perceptions and teachers' epistemic orientations. I will set aside details about each paper for later. Let's continue to talk about how to really make it from the dissertation.

Once you almost drafted your papers, explore or discuss targeted journals. I have used a journal finder provided by each publisher (e.g., Wiley SJF, Elsevier Journal Finders) but it did not work well for me (I guess because my topic is a bit broad - can be learning, education, science education, etc. So I just submitted my manuscript to the top-tiered journal.. then I got rejected..

But still, it is good because I got reviewers' comments!! Having someone in the same field who gives you comment is very important.  I revised my paper based on the comments then submitted it to the next targeting journal. Then I got rejected again..

No worries! I am writing this post because I want you to be discouraged. Rejection and Acceptance are part of life for people in academia. Be comfortable with rejections. 😝😝

I got reviewers' comments again then I revised my manuscript in accordance with their points. I submitted it to the next journal... I got a positive decision finally - "Major Revision" then make it published. 

In sum, what I want to suggest is it is not too late for you to submit your manuscript while working on your dissertation. I know, it is a lot of work, but you know that you need a productive break while writing your dissertation. And do not hesitate to submit your manuscript! Reviewers' comments help you look at your paper from a different perspective and most of the time, it really helps! 


Good luck, all doctoral students!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Educator, Researcher, and Artist

  My name guides me to be a creative educator, researcher, and traveler. Ye means 'art' and Jun means 'high.' So I introduce the meaning of my name as 'an artist going on a high note.' It does not necessarily mean that I perform well but it is more about I enjoy what I am doing.  Alberta Fall, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO Water molecule drawing I have been a science teacher for about 12 years in South Korea (including one year in the United States). Creativity is my energy to design the generative science curriculum that I often got an idea from children's books, fine arts, and movies for classroom activities. Oh, of course, from travel as well.  With students in Seoul Culture High School Currently, I am supporting pre-service teachers as a faculty member. It is always my pleasure to see how pre-service teachers grow their competencies through practice-based learning. My courses are growing not only their knowledge and skills but also their attitudes tow...

*Cooking* Korean Seaweed Soup (Birthday soup)

Seaweed soup in Korea means a lot of things - someone has a birthday, someone gives a birth, or someone goes on a diet. If you can make this special soup for your friend's or family member's birthday, I can say that you are a great person who knows how to make your friends or family happy. 👍😉 Let's make a special & healthy seaweed soup! What we need, Ground Beef/ Stew Beef / Chicken / Dried fish - 1/2 lb Dried Seaweed - a handful of 3 cloves of garlic - minced Sesame oil - 2 Table spoon Soy sauce - 1 Table spoon Salt - 1 teaspoon (add more or skip based on your preference) Water/Rice Water - 3 cups  *tips: I prefer to use rice water (when you wash rice, you will get a tons of rice water. Instead of throwing away, always save the second round rice water for cooking and the third round rice water for my facial wash.)  Today's my preparation: Rice Water, Seaweed soaked in the water, & Stew Beef Steps 1. In the small bowl, soak dried seaw...

Turkish Spinach Rice

Often, I was surprised by similar tastes between Korean and Turkish food. This Turkish Spinach Rice (my Turkish chef's one of the specialties) is a good example of this. A spicy and savory taste of this dish will be great for dinner during winter. <What we need> 1 package of spinach a half cup of rice - washed and soaked in water 1 cup of (or more) water 1 onion - sliced 2 long hot peppers - sliced 2 Tsp tomato paste salt, pepper, & red pepper flakes <Let's make it> Fresh spinach from the farmer's market. This time, we decided to use one pepper and onion.  Before start cooking, wash rice.  Keep them in the water until adding them to the pot. In the pan, add oil and warm it up for 2 mins. Add sliced onions and stir until they become transparent. Add sliced peppers and stir fry them together. wash and chop spinach   When pepper and onions are cooked, add tomato pastes. Stir fry them together. Then add ch...